Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Week-long Processing

Ok, it is Wednesday and I am still processing Sunday's church service. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am giving myself an A for effort! The quote from Larry Krabb's Shattered Dreams on our big screens SCREAMED at me:
We assume we are here for one fundatmental reason: to have a good time--if not good circumstances, then at least good feelings. We long to feel alive, to sense passion and romance and freedom. We want the good time of enjoying godly kids, of making difference in people's lives, of involvement with close friends, of experiencing God's peace...But when we uncover the deepest motives that drive our actions, we discover a determination to feel now what no one will feel until heaven.
Now this is so true in my life...always chasing the good time. What is so interesting to me is that I am also reading another book entitled Bringing Heaven Down to Earth. Nathan Bierma says:
Heaven is an odd element of the Christian faith. We profess it to be eternally important and then live as though it doesn't exist. We are runners who fear the finish line. We go through life with little sense of what heaven will be like, and less sense of why we would want to live there. We carry on with out daily lives, fixated on the here and now, oblivious to the there and then.
In recent weeks my thoughts have beening drifting to heaven often. Maybe it's the book I'm reading or the message at church or the fact that Lyn seems to be so close to that finish line...I don't know. But whatever it is, I am finding this disconnect between my life here on earth and my eternal life in heaven. It's a moment by moment EFFORT to remember what this life is all about. It is not all about ME! As much as I want it to be, it is not. The tidal wave of daily life often gets the best of me and I find myself praying for things that I think will make me happy here, but in reality know that I will never find that perfect happiness here on earth. I need to think more on this, but as for this morning...Lani is yelling for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric and Pam said...

Good stuff Cassie. Thanks for making us ALL think!

4/26/2006 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how our perspective changes when we realize we are here to Glorify Him...and nothing else.

4/26/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger jody said...

nice job processing.
it's a life long struggle to balance the temporal and eternal---somehow connecting the two worlds in our day to day life.
thanks.

4/26/2006 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home