Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Realization

Someone recently told me I think too much. So guess what...I starting thinking about that. And I have recently realized something that I am sure everyone who knows me realized a long time ago. I do everything in excess. I think too much, I definitely eat too much, I talk way too much, I ask too many questions, I read too much and research too much, and I'm on the computer TOO MUCH!! I simply take on too much. Good or bad, doesn't matter. It's just the way I am. I have been wrestling with this decision about going back to work full time for months now. And needless to say, I am still confused and doubting. I have been reading a book titled "Sacred Parenting". And appropriately enough, the chapter I was reading today was "The Gold Behind the Guilt". HA! I have this incredible guilt about going back to work full time. I don't think I'd have it if I would have gone back right after Brigg was born and then taken off 6-12 weeks when Nalani was born, but MAN do I have it now. I am beginning to come to grips with it I think. It sounds as though everyone has guilt about their choices as a parent. Do we stay home or work? Part time or full time? Do we breastfeed or formula feed? Do we co-sleep or separate beds? You know what...it doesn't matter as long as we love our children and do our best to point them on the right path. I have decided just tonight that I am giving myself WAY too much credit if I think staying home with my kids at this point is going to be LIFE ALTERING for them. I really thought this quote from the book hit home for me...
"We are not raising robots; we are shepherding image bearers of the Creator God who live with freedom of choice, their own wills, and a personal responsibility of their own. It seems to me that we tend to take too much credit for kids who turn out good, and too much blame for kids who turn out bad. You want to hear a severe truth? None of us can be such good parents that God becomes obligated to save our children's souls. On the more encouraging end, none of us can mess up so badly that our children somehow extend beyond the reach of God's mercy."
So a week from tomorrow I am going to interview for a full time, permanant job and I am no longer going to feel guilty about it! Thank goodness for blogging...a place to ramble on and on about things that I'm sure others read and wonder "Whoa, Cassie is a fruitcake!" Have a good night...

2 Comments:

Blogger jody said...

I love that book! I think i am going to pull it out and read it again. I think we do give ourselves too much credit. All the information and debates about parenting these days may be working against us. People have been doing this for a long time :-).
Good for you.
Now no more thinking.

1/24/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thinking too much is definitely a female trait. I understand every word on this post. Give yourself a pat on the back for me! Good luck getting back to work and juggling everything.

4/08/2006 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home