Tuesday, January 17, 2006

An Unconditional Love

Lani was up in the night. She was just coughing and coughing and coughing.
At first I thought it was just a little spell, so I let it go. She kept hacking away for like 5 full minutes. So I rounded up some cough syrup and headed down to her room. Of course, she gulped the medicine right down and wanted to be held. I brought her up to our room to the recliner to hold her in the upright position until the meds kicked in. I felt so helpless. She was coughing so hard that I thought she might puke on several occasions. At one point she looked at me straight in the eye and put one hand on each side of my face and coughed really hard directly in my face. I think I could literally FEEL the germs enter my body and pollute my lungs and spread throughout my blood stream! I didn't even flinch. I love this little girl and I cannot even for a second be concerned about my own health when she is struggling so bad with hers. I have to think this is a brief glimpse of how Jesus feels about us. The love I feel is just a fraction of the strength of the love He feels for us. It is actually quite amazing to think about that at 2 am in a dark room with a sick child. A pretty good metaphor, I believe. I am thankful for this brief glimpse and reminder from Him. I am thankful for this unconditional love for MY babies. I pray that reminders like this keep presenting themselves to me and I not too busy to notice.

1 Comments:

Blogger jody said...

Nice description-- I can almost see the particles of spit and germs covering your face. Still too cute. Every mother understands.

1/17/2006 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home