Friday, October 27, 2006

My Birthday Girl!!


Hard to believe that it has been 3 years since my baby made her grand entrance! I remember throughout the whole pregnancy I was sure she was a boy. So when the doctor said, "It's a girl!", I was in shock. I remember turing to Paul and saying with tears in my eyes, "I WANTED a girl. I didn't know I did, but I wanted a girl." It was a whirlwind first year filled with trips to the University Hospital and then to Detroit to try and repair her "broken" eye. The most amazing thing happened during the first year of Lani's life though. I finally realized that I really was not in control of it all. I realized I was completely broken. I realized that no matter what I did to make me feel like I was in control, it really wasn't about me at all. Somewhere along the journey, Nalani's eye had become my greatest blessing. Pretty amazing little girl!
Once this realization was made, it wasn't about her eye at all. It was about her smile and her personality and her ENERGY. That dimple, those sparkling eyes, her million questions, all wrapped up into the cutest little girl I have ever given birth to!!
Lani is so different from her brother and has been since day one. I remember our first trip up to the University, just 36 hours after her birth. I had dressed her in the cutest little outfit and put a hat on her head. She was in her carseat just grunting and groaning and I finally looked back and somehow she had pulled that hat off her head and it was resting on her chest and she was finally content. Never a doubt that this little girl was determined!! She decided at 10 weeks she no longer wanted a pacifier. Quit taking it cold turkey. Never a doubt this little girl was driven! When Lani wraps her little arms around your neck and says "I love you, you're the BEST!" She means it from the bottom of her heart. She is sincere, sweet, happy and very secure. I look at her and wonder what she will be like as an adult. I am certain she will not let any "defect" get in her way! So my prayer for Lani this day is that she will continue to make those around her smile. That she uses her drive, her motivation, and her determination for only good. That it doesn't take a defect to make her realize that she is broken. That was are ALL broken and only God's grace and love makes us complete. I pray that I can raise this little girl to be a Godly woman who is nurturing and loves Jesus. That is a very big prayer for one little girl! Happy 3rd birthday little lou bug. We thank GOD for you every single day. We look at you with love in our hearts and are so very grateful that we have been chosen to be your parents! We love you!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Beckysblog said...

Cassie, she is beautiful and so lucky to have a mom who 'gets' her. She will no doubt do great things. What a little fighter!
Love you all...

10/27/2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger jody said...

I love her too. She can have cereal at our place anytime and she can have the pick of the boys....

10/27/2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger Chris/Stew; Brenda said...

I've said it before, but Lani is the first baby I instantly fell in love with! She is amazing! happy Birthday Lani!

10/27/2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Jennie Peakin said...

I love you sweetie!!! Happy Birthday!
Love, Jennie, Sean and Tate

10/27/2006 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a doll CAssie. You're very blessed. Happy birthday Lani!

10/27/2006 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was from me - Karen .

10/27/2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

hmmmm...i do know several karens.

10/27/2006 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has taken me back, just viewing the beautiful faces of such a beautiful little girl, realizing just how she impacts so many...sigh!!! God certainly knows what he is doing and Lani, he made you just the way you were supposed to be, praise be!! Both Papa and Nana hold you in our hearts and love you beyond words....what a blessing you are. Happy Birthday Lou Lou!!

10/28/2006 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home