Monday, June 12, 2006

16 years ago today...

Is that even possible? Do you know what you were doing 16 years ago today? I do. I remember it like it was yesterday. 16 years ago my grandma died. I was 13...I cannot believe she has been gone longer than I knew here alive. I think losing a grandparent is one of those defining moments in your life. I think I could describe every minute of that day. That was the first day I spoke to God. That was the first day I felt completely out of control. That was the first day I heard God speak to me.
I remember so many things about my grandma. I remember her laugh. I remember her blue high heeled reptile skin shoes. Every time I hear my mom say "dagnabit!" I think of her. Cathy can do or say about anything and I can see or hear grandma. Everytime I hear Amazing Grace I cry. Everytime I get frustrated at Nalani Alma and say her full name, my grandma's face pops in my head. I still can't talk about that day without welling up.
In thirteen years my grandma made such an impact on me that I didn't think I would ever get over her death and I haven't. I wish my kids had gotten to meet her and know her like I did. I wish I could talk to her today and hear what she has to say. I wish I could eat her homemade doughnuts. I wish we could all sit around the round table in the kitchen in the house on the hill and talk and laugh until the wee hours of the morning.
My grandma created "family" like many never get to see. I am so thankful to her and my grandpa for teaching my the importance of family. I will never forget that day and I think that says a lot about the kind of person she was. I miss her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric and Pam said...

Ah, Cassie. She sounds so wonderful! Here's to a day of remembering!

6/13/2006 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My own grandma passed away 2 years ago on the 22nd (which will also be Avery's 2nd birthday)...not a day goes by that I do not think of her. She was so unbelieveably funny!
I found a note in my dad's bible this past weekend with a poem that ended..."Goodbyes always come to soon..." He was so right.

6/13/2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Grandparents are one of life's most beautiful treasures. Hang on to all those wonderful memories!

6/13/2006 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how much you love your grandma. As much as I am around you and your mom, I feel like I know her myself - and I know it sounds crazy but I love her too! Whenever I am around Cathy, I can totally picture what Alma was like - in Cathy's smile, her mannerisms and her sweetness.. Your mom reminds me of her sometimes too but I know your mom more as Candi... does that make sense. Although I didn't "know" your grandma, I think she was an amazing person and I only wish I could have seen her and Tommy together! The thought of it makes me smile! Love ya!

6/13/2006 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a tough day for me too as you well know... and I didn't even realize you were aware of its significance!! I told your Dad, I just couldn't hold it together... I blamed it on allergies and a host of other things, but inside all along it was the absence of Mom!! The good news is... I will see her again one day. Praise be!!!

6/14/2006 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home